   Re: Component Markup Language

  • From: Nigel Hutchison <nwoh@software-ag.de>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:27:38 +0100

At 04:29 PM 11/4/11 +0100, Robb Shecter wrote:
>Dave Winer wrote:
>
>> http://www.bluestone.com/xml/XwingML/
>>
>> Yes, that is very interesting. But if anyone from Bluestone is listening,
>> it would be great to have a page that shows XML code and a screen shot of
>> the interface it generates.
>
>Well, I just downloaded it and checked it out, and I don't think this
could really be used as
>a way to describe platform-independent UI's.  (Can I attach a copy of an
XML here w/out
>violating some copyright?  Hmm...maybe a piece of it... :)
>
>   <JFrame name="MainFrame" title="Bluestone XML Notepad" image="icon.gif"
x="20%" y="20%"
>width="60%" height="60%">
>      <JMenuBar>
>         <JMenu text="File" mnemonic="F">
>            <JMenuItem icon="open.gif" text="Open..." mnemonic="O"
>accelerator="VK_O,CTRL_MASK" actionListener="OpenFile"/>
>
>etc...
>
>This looks basically like Java code with an XML syntax.  It doesn't
abstract at the nature of
>components, or interactions.  I guess what it is, is one way to get a
scripting functionality
>in Java; a competitor to projects like the BeanShell.

If there was a set of C++ classes that interpreted it and built up a GUI
with the same look and feel, that might be useful.
Then a server could project its own GUI api and leave it to the client side
to choose C++, Java etc to build the interface at run time.  I suspect that
in most cases the bandwidth required to shift the XML GUI description would
be quite a bit less than the
compiled java classes. If this is so than "Even Cooler" would be XML GUI
interpreter built into a Internet Browser.

But am I running too far with this one?

Nigel Hutchison

Nigel W. O. Hutchison
Technical Consultant