   CORBA's not boring yet. / XML in an OS?

  • From: Robb Shecter <shecter@darmstadt.gmd.de>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 18:59:55 +0100

Hi,

A little while ago on this list someone said they hope that XML wasn't
going to have the fate of CORBA ... a standard that people asked too
much of, and that is now relegated to the world of boring, overhyped and
underused technologies.

Well, I was reminded about it when I read this month's Linux Journal -
it describes how -both- up and coming desktop environments are basing
major parts of their architectures on CORBA.  KDE's so cool it makes me
want to learn C++. :)

Prediction:  In 3 years, half the people on this list will be using a
corba-based desktop environment.

Anyhow, this naturally makes me wonder - could XML and related ideas
like XSL have a place in an operating system?  Where would they fit in?
KDE and Gnome could be great playgrounds for trying something like this
out.

- Robb

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest