   Re: CORBA's not boring yet. / XML in an OS?

  • From: Tyler Baker <tyler@infinet.com>
  • To: Robb Shecter <shecter@darmstadt.gmd.de>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:50:36 -0500

Robb Shecter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A little while ago on this list someone said they hope that XML wasn't
> going to have the fate of CORBA ... a standard that people asked too
> much of, and that is now relegated to the world of boring, overhyped and
> underused technologies.

That was me...

> Well, I was reminded about it when I read this month's Linux Journal -
> it describes how -both- up and coming desktop environments are basing
> major parts of their architectures on CORBA.  KDE's so cool it makes me
> want to learn C++. :)

I think this may end up being a major mistake.  IIOP is a nice protocol, but other than that,
CORBA is really only useful for integrating client/servers of differing operating environments
and hardware.

> Prediction:  In 3 years, half the people on this list will be using a
> corba-based desktop environment.

Not likely.  My biggest problem with CORBA was that it was too huge for the client and
consumed too many resources.  Maybe it was just the Visigenic implementation I was using at
the time, but plain and simple CORBA is not lightweight.  CORBA is one of those things which I
feel could be made better by stripping a lot of the rarely used stuff out.  This is not a
CORBA list so I will pretty much end this here...

> Anyhow, this naturally makes me wonder - could XML and related ideas
> like XSL have a place in an operating system?  Where would they fit in?
> KDE and Gnome could be great playgrounds for trying something like this
> out.

They already do if you consider Internet Explorer a fundamental part of the Windows Operating
System (-:

Tyler

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest