   RE: Component Markup Language

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:29:32 -0000

Robb Shecter wrote:
> How about this: Have one XSL document per client side
> scripting language.  That is, different
> XSL documents could implement:
>
> Component-XML->DHTML             (This particular one would
> give you your "Even Cooler" idea.)
>
> Component-XML->Java BeanShell
> Component-XML->Smalltalk
> etc...
>
> ...then, a client side browser applies whatever XSL template
> is best for it, gets the the
> resulting kind of script it understands, and on the fly
> generates a UI.

We do something similar for browser types, by generating all XSL
documents through an ASP page. In our case, we detect the browser type,
and change the rules in the stylesheet dynamically. Your scenario would
benefit too, because you wouldn't need to send loads of sylesheets to
the client - just one, but one that has been dynamically created.

(I don't know why I'm responding because I still disagree with whole
idea of a component XML! By the time anyone has come up with a useful
standard that *does* cope with the minor inefficiencies that have been
mentioned, HTML 5 will have been along and will have resolved it. If it
really is necessary then I would use HTML 4.0 as the base for the
component-XML syntax, and then map *that* to Java interfaces, or
whatever. In other words, write a Java (or whatever) interface that
understands HTML, plus your few extensions.)

Mark Birbeck
Managing Director
Intra Extra Digital Ltd.
39 Whitfield Street