   Namespaces and interoperability (was Re: SAX, Java, and Namespaces)

  • From: James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 10:43:46 +1000

At 00:48 6/02/1999 , hpyle@agora.co.uk wrote:

  | Paul Prescod wrote,
  | > I don't think that "average developers" need to worry about namespaces.
  | > If you are building a
  | > typical one-organization application then what are you doing with "other
  | > people's tags" in your documents?
  |
  | Maybe my perspective is a little warped.  I'm working on healthcare
  | applications in the UK - interoperability will (sometime) become a big
  | deal. :-)

Well, let me put it like this then:

You are working out a structured interchange format. If you
want structure, you'll need a DTD, otherwise there is absolutely
no way of validating that you have got correct data.

If you have a DTD, then namespaces are irrelevant: they simply
don't work together in any meaningful way.

Or to put it another way: allowing arbitrary nesting of someone
else's tags doesn't achieve anything. You still have to know
what to do with them when you receive them.

In summary: get stuck into writing a DTD, and ignore this
whole "namespaces" mess ...

-------------------------
James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd