   Re: from a new member

  • From: Ruth Bergman <Ruth@jpl.nasa.gov>
  • To: Prashanth Lakshmi Narayanan <PrashanthL@inf.com>, "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:01:13 -0800

At 07:58 PM 2/17/1999 +0530, Prashanth Lakshmi Narayanan wrote:
>  i wish some of you could give me pointers as to what sort of application i
>should
>choose to develop (keeping the time constraint of 2 weeks in mind) so that i
>can
>bring out the power of xml.
>  thanks in advance.

Like you I am new to xml and I have been doing very much the same thing.  I
think there are two directions you can think of for choosing an
application:  something everybody would find useful or something specific
to your company's business.  If you choose to go with something specific to
your company I, obviously, cannot help, but I have an idea for an
application that may have a broad interest.  The idea is a resume
management and styling application.

Let me elaborate.  I think an xml resume is useful because it would let you
store all the relevant information in ONE document.  Sometimes it seems
that I have more versions of my resume than there are jobs in the universe.
 An XML resume would have all your work experience, education, references,
skills, publications, personal information, etc.  You can tag the
information (I was thinking with attributes) as to what type of skill it is
or what position it may be relevant for.  Once you have this complete
document you can create a resume to suit each need using stylesheets.  It
is a natural example to showcase the usefulness of stylesheets, because
resumes have a few typical looks.  Most people already copy another resume
and substitute their information.

It is very easy to set up such a resume and stylesheets (I have an example
if you're interested).  A full application, however, should be accessible
to the general public.  Thus I think it should provide authoring that hides
the xml.  I am thinking about dtd driven authoring.  (Are there xml editors
that provide this already?  You'd think so, but all the ones I've tried are
non-validating or crash.)

It would be interesting to hear from more experienced members on this list
if they think xml resumes will sell (that is, if they will sell managers on
xml).

Cheers,
Ruth.

Dr. Ruth Bergman				ruth@jpl.nasa.gov