   Re: ModSAX (SAX 1.1) Proposal

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:43:04 -0800

David,

>What exactly do you mean by a "module"?

A feature by a different name and from the feature provider point of view.
I could have just as well used "Feature" instead of "Module".  I just
assumed that the "Mod" in "ModAX" was for "Module".

>In general, we don't have get* methods for org.xml.sax.Parser -- is
>there a special reason that we need one here?

It is just my style, ying and yang sort of thing.  I did not see any
compelling reason not to have it and there are some benefits such as chain
(as in chain of responsibilities) management.

>It certainly looks cleaner than checking a lot of boolean return
>values, and it provides stronger compile-time checking as well.

True if the feature in question is mandatory.  Code ends up a little messier
if the feature is optional.  If I just wanted to install different handler
types depending on whether a feature is available or not, we end up with
many try-catch islands.

Anyway, I like your latest proposal.

Best,

Don Park