   Re: Streaming XML

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 05:47:36 +1100

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

>True - and to be pedantic, ^C (&#03;) is probably a better choice,
>since its name is ETX, for End-of-text, and it was actually defined
>for this kind of use.  It's in Unicode too, but, just like ^L, not
>in XML.  -Tim

Tim isnt being pedantic: the control characters are provided
specifically to
allow in-band comms signalling. However, implementation is often
OS-dependent
and ratty.

Whatever you use, make sure its not ^D,^Q,^S, or ~Z. I am not really
sure
that ^C would not also cause problems, because of its use as an abort
character.
In particular, control signals are often associated with DCE/DTE
point-to-point
signalling, and not end-to-end. You might send a ^C, but how that
propogates
to the other end is anyone's business. So a vacant tty control character
like ^L
might be useful. I'd love to hear the results of anyone testing this
with XML
over PPP.

Rick Jelliffe

(un)subscribe xml-dev