   Re: Entities and Expat (was Re: Confused about & in entity literal)

  • From: "Joshua E. Smith" <jesmith@kaon.com>
  • To: "Nik O" <niko@cmsplatform.com>, "- XML-Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:23:17 -0400

An external entity reference needs a declaration:

<!ENTITY copy SYSTEM "http://blah.blah.blah/blah.xml">

If you want your application to "just know" about some entities which you
have failed to define anywhere, I don't think that documents relying on
that behavior would even be considered well-formed.

How about putting:

<!ENTITY copy "&#38;copy">

and the like into your document?

>I'm trying to parse and index documents that contain several HTML-style
>general entities ("&copy;", "&bull;", etc.), using Expat ("Version
>19990307") as the parser.  I want to be able to trap these entity strings
>(they're not to be indexed, but they are to be included, untranslated, in
>the document output).  But, Expat exits with an XML_ERROR_UNDEFINED_ENTITY
>error ("..undefined entity at line..").  Inspection of the Expat source
>shows the following:

-Joshua Smith

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest