   Re: Feeling good about SML

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:51:32 -0500

At 11:54 AM 11/16/99 +0000, Sean Mc Grath wrote:
>For arguments sake, lets call this the XML Feature Manifest
>(XMF).
>
>I don't know to what extent this overlaps
>with Simon St. Laurent because I cannot
>connect to his site right now. Sorry.

Hmmm... I'll have to check my log files.  The 'canonical' URL is
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/xpdl, but http://www.simonstl.com/projects/xpdl/
also works if for some reason the PURL resolver is down, which happens
periodically.

I like the idea a lot, though I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly
how the overlap would work.  XPDL lets you create document types, which can
then provide information like "you're missing something if you don't
default attributes here" - "get these entities or this document is toast" -
"you need namespace processing to understand this document" - "XPointer is
the fragment identifier used for this type of document", etc.

You could extend it pretty easily to profile XML, probably in the space
I've created for indicating XLink, XPointer, and namespaces support.

I like this idea very much, but I'm not sure that it'll work so well with
SML, which seems to be aiming for the simplest possible framework. Even a
PI pointing to this info might be too much, even if I said XPDL files had
to be canonicalized.  (Right now, they're not.)

In general, I have to say my sympathies are with the simplifiers.  I'd much
rather see developers start from the simplest possible base and build out
than require them to understand all the parts involved in XML 1.0.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies