   [SML] Mapping between SML and XML

  • From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:32:10 -0500

In the thread "[SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?", Mike Champion identified an important issue: the ability of SML to leverage XML technologies.  Paul Tchistopolskii responded suggesting that we provide a way to map between SML and XML without burdening SML with unnecessary XML features.

Should we make it a requirement that it be possible to map XML into SML?

If so, what features of an XML document shall be mapped?  Are entity references lost?  Boundaries between CDATA sections?  Comments?  PIs?

To what degree should the mapping be reversible?

If we decide that this is a requirement, I suggest we use XML namespaces to make it work.  That would probably mean that SML would define a standard set of namespaces for these extra pieces.  But I wouldn't want SML to give these pieces any semantics in the context of SML; they would only serve to make XML survive passage through an SML engine.
--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business