   Re: [SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

  • From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:38:31 -0500

This argument doesn't work for me.  An XML document contains no behavior,
only data.  The XML spec gives you two syntaxes for representing data -- a
short one (attributes) and a long one (element content).  Data can be
structured in one syntax but not in the other.

A better argument for providing a replacement is the (unresolved) need to
map to and from XML.

At 04:21 AM 11/28/1999 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Don Park wrote:
>> I believe it is now time to address the question of
>> whether Attribute should be supported in SML or not.

>  Attributes cannot be eliminated without
>  providing a suitable replacement.

>  The reason why SGML/XML/SML is so powerful is
>  that it accurately reflects the dual nature
>  of reality.  Code has two aspects -- it is
>  edited as data and run as instructions.
>
>  This pattern is recursive.  Witness yet another
>  compiler ("yacc"), it is code which instructs the
>  generation of code.
>
>  XML is powerful beacuse it recognizes that there are
>  _always_ two simotanenous contexts that must be
>  distinguished:  data and markup.
>
>  Attributes are the result of applying this same
>  pattern recursively on the markup itself.   Thus, a
>  given tag can have instructions (the attribute) and
>  data for those instructions (the attribute's value).
>
>  Attributes therefore, allow a second order approximation
>  to the recursive pattern:
>
>                           [Attribute]
>                        /
>               [Markup]
>            /           \\
>           /               [Value]
>
>  [Document]
>                                    /  [Attribute]
>           \\              [Markup]
>            \\           /          \\ [Value]
>               [Content]
>                        \\
>                           [Content]   ...
>

>  Unfortunately, as pointed out on this list many, many
>  times -- by having a different syntax, attributes do
>  not allow for further recursion.  Thus, there is an
>  entire realm of reality which cannot be described
>  using XML, since attributes cannot have children.
>
>  Thus, I really doubt that it is possible to have
>  a meaningful markup language without attributes --
>  however, finding a recursive replacement would
>  be very good.
>
>  Consider:

>    If attributes were eliminated, this would be mapped to:

>  Possibility #1:
>
>    Use a hard-coded namespace,
>
>    <element> <attribute:att>val</attribute:att> <content/> </element>
>
>  Possibility #2:
>
>    Use a marker,
>
>    <element> <$att>val</$att> <content/> </element>
>
>  Possibility #3:
>
>    Use another type of brackets,

>  Possibility #4:
>
>    Use a divider,

>  In any case, replacing the attribute mechanism with
>  one that allows for recursion would allow for
>  stuff like:

>  To be legally expressed (using syntax #4):

>Hmm.  Thoughts?
>
>Clark
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on
CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1

--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business