   Re: Conversion of existing web pages from HTML

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: ",XML-Dev List" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:12:24 +0800

Kiat Soh wrote:

> I am wondering if there's anyone who tries converting
> the existing HTML pages to XML and XSL.

The place to start is to use Dave Ragget's tool "tidy" which
can clean up HTML, create CSS, and generate XHTML pretty well.
I recommend running the data twice through it to really get the
funnies removed.

> Also for a typical web page, its hard to decide on the
> schema of the pages. Can anyone give me some advice.

If you are looking for a book on document analysis (how to
reverse engineer a DTD from some existing data), then there
are several good books from the SGML world, where this was
our bread and butter:  the books by Maler and el Andouloussi,
Megginson or me are all in this area.

Rick Jelliffe