   Re: XML: "turning into the modern-day Tower of Babel"

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:27:19 -0400

At 03:15 PM 4/27/00 -0700, KenNorth wrote:
> > Talk about tired phrases -- somebody call the Cliché Police!
>
>Yes, but the article goes on to discuss XSLT as one solution to the problem
>of schema proliferation.
>David Booth, Matthew Fuchs, David Fallside and others have said something
>similar -- don't worry about an über schema not being available today
>because it's not too difficult to use XSLT to adapt in the future.

I agree, though semantic incompatibilities can still get you.  In a similar
arena, it used to be a Big Deal to figure out whether a new version of a
DTD was backwards-incompatible.  Now it's quite practical in many cases to
provide a completely non-proprietary, safe transformation to the new
version.  Ahh.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com