   Schema Validation in MSXML

  • From: "Mike Sharp" <msharp@lante.com>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:49:08 -0700

MSXML does not validate when the loadXML method is used to parse a string
(anyone know why?).  Validation is only possible if the load method is used on
an object that supports IStream, or using the ASP Request object.

Is there a way around this, other than parsing the string in one XMLDOM object,
and passing it as an IStream object to another, as in the following VBScript:

Dim xmlRawDocument
Dim xmlValidDocument

Set  xmlRawDocument = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
     xmlRawDocument.async = false
     xmlRawDocument.loadXML(strIncomingDocument)

Set  xmlValidDocument = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
     xmlValidDocument.async = false
     xmlValidDocument.resolveExternals = true
     xmlValidDocument.validateOnParse = true
     xmlValidDocument.load(xmlRawDocument)

Is there a better way to validate against a schema, assuming that validation is
all we're interested in (ie: we're not validating, then building a DOM object at
this time).  Our only purpose, at the moment, anyway, is to validate xml
received from webMethods against a schema, since webMethods only validates
against a DTD.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Sharp