   Duplicate postings [Re: Bullard bounce back]

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "cbullard@hiwaay.net" <"Len Bullard"@mail.hiwaay.net>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:43:48 +0100

At 08:19 PM 5/1/00 -0500, Len Bullard wrote:
>Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>>
>> On occasions in the past I and other members of the list have urged that
>> replies be only to the list unless requested. This saves a poster getting
>> two identical replies to a message.
>>
>> Is this something that people still care about?
>
>Yes.  Copying the intended receiver is often the faster way to
>ensure that they have the message with time to reply.

I understand this. [I have copied you in in duplicate!] The downside is
that people get twice the volume of mail, and some people in some countries
have to pay for this (connection charges are large in some places).  In
earlier days on the list the general consensus was that multiple postings
were to be avoided - I am simply checking on the current view.

>Please, Peter, you have a good heart, but quit adjusting our
>manners so often.  Really.  We are adults and the rate of
>tapping on our wrists is reminiscent of a doting grandfather
>who has yet to discover the grandchildren are on their
>own now.  We all know how this works.

In general this may be true, but at present we have two people working hard
to set up the list so it does run automatically. I personally spent a great
deal of time on list matters to try to help us through a difficult patch.
Since we are re-examining the mechanics of the list I think a small amount
of discussion is necessary.

As an example I have the suggestion (in private mail) that mail messages
with quoted signatures should be bounced.  There are reasons why this
appeals to me, but other may have strong views against it.
Since Henry Rzepa has now produced a complete navigable CDROM of the 3-year
archive, we know the difficulties of extra volume, etc. Search engines do
not normally distinguish quoted material, so the ability to find stuff
retrospectively is harder. There are others who mail see maillists as
ephemeral - many views are acceptable.

And I don't post just because I feel like it! I remained silent for a year,
remember.

	P.