   Re: saving DOM as bytecode in database

  • From: Steve Muench <smuench@us.oracle.com>
  • To: Huaxin Zhang <hxzhang@cs.ualberta.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 09:07:38 -0700

It's certainly possible using a BLOB column,
but I'd recommend you do some benchmarking of
this approach against other serialization approaches,
like simply storing the "serialized text form" of the XML document
in a CLOB column.

Several of our internal teams found that
the performance of Java Serialization (at least of
a DOM tree!) was appreciably slower than simply
storing the XML as text and reparsing when needed.
(Not to mention that other types of non-Java
programs can make use of the serialized XML, while
they could not if it were stored as Java-serialized
DOM objects.)

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/