   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com, Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com,xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:34:55 -0500

Title: RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?
Blow off the syntactic web or enumerate the syntaxes.  There are many.  Good luck.
If by this you mean, solidify the XML application vocabularies, go for it.

The Semantic Web is a crock.  You can't explain and neither can Berners-Lee.  It
is the kind of requirement that leads to the noisy specs everyone is protesting.  If a
requirement can't be described in prose most of us can agree to, it is a bogus requirement
and should be banned from future discussion.

Web services can be precisely enumerated such that even machines can figure
out which service is which.  As to whether what they find and provide is what
was asked for, humans determine that nicely when they orchestrate services.

Actually, some architectures are in place, are precisely described and are
being implemented.  .net is one.  Because of that, we can build with it, for it,
and interoperate with it.  No W3C required other than to not put cruft into
the base specifications such as XML syntax.

Semantic web my behind.  I just want to order a pizza, not have mozarella
explained to me.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.