   Re: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:01:31 +0100

> The Semantic Web is a crock.  You can't explain and neither can Berners-Lee.  It
> is the kind of requirement that leads to the noisy specs everyone is protesting.  If a
> requirement can't be described in prose most of us can agree to, it is a bogus requirement
> and should be banned from future discussion.

I may have grabbed the wrong end of the wrong stick - alternatively I
may be stating something that has been obvious to all for eons - but it
recently struck me that RDF is in fact not only not so baffling but
actually very interesting.

Forget the semantics - metadata - and look at the syntax - logical
assertions.

All fashions tend to come and go in cycles, and maybe artificial
intelligence has just about reached its nadir (does anyone who does it
still use the term, even?)

After all, what would *you* do with a logical-predicate database the
size of a small planet?

Francis.
--
Francis Norton.