   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Daniel.Veillard@w3.org, Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:39:47 -0500

Build a sample implementation that can be used
as a test article and you are done with the code.

You do have to document the expected results
particularly with regard to performance or other
requirements will conflict.  We are still wrestling
with that in VRML/X3D.  For example, DOM is good, but is DOM
fast enough for a real time 3D display list even if indexed?
We are waiting on sample implementation results.
If we used normative code, we might build a
standard that deserves to be ignored.  By building
samples, we get to choose object models.

A reference implementation is a step
backwards into proprietary software.  A test
article is a means to determine conformance.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h