   Re: Will XML change the character of W3C?

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:48:26 -0400

Paul Tchistopolskii has raised the bar on my precisin:

> From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@home.com>
>
> >  HTML succeeded, I'm sure, because of three
> > things:
> >
> > 1) Anyone can write HTML, basically without training,
just
> > by looking at a few samples and experimenting.
>
> > With xml, lots of people saw the same thing - they could
> > write useful xml without much of a learning curve and it
> > would be useful for their purposes.
>
> Agree.

...>
> No! Not all three!  'End-user'  can use HTML and
> Apache not writing a line of code in any 'programming
language'.

> XML is almost  *useless* to non-developer, because how can
> end-user use XML 'as-is' ? For writing config files of
Apache ?
> Not a big improvement for the end-user.
>
> Writing Web-pages in XML instead of HTML ??? No way.
> Much harder ( for many reasons ).
>
> The only people who can /are benefiting from
> XML are developers.

Yes, I was thinking of developers instead of end users,
although I didn't  say so.   And I meant that developers (or
would-be developers) can get started with xml with very low
barriers, in the same way that users and non-developers were
able to get started with HTML.

It is strange how browserrs have been so long in coming,
isn't it?

Regards,

Tom Passin