   RE: Soft Landing

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:33:58 -0500

In systems such as public safety, there are typically
Master Indexes for:

Names
Locations
Vehicles

and these enable the network.  The names data is
particularly nasty to maintain and use.  For example,
given the name Robert Smith, how many of them do
you think there are and how do you figure out which
one is the one you are about to imprison for fifty
years?  The process of identification is very difficult,
usually comes down to a guess by the operator, and
in severe cases, comes down to a DNA test.  That is why,
BTW, a national DNA database is in the works and it is
not to improve medical diagnosis.

Then there is performance.

Each one of these indexes is cross-referenced with different
relationships.  The problem of the semantic network
approach is to reuse information and not build queries
that have to search so far and so deep into child tables
to create a report or fill a QBE form that one waits
until the end of time.  It is much harder than it looks.

Semantic networks are constrained in utility by the
top level domain classification.  Ultimately, one
ends up creating lots of semantic networks and
they overlap.   One problem is isolating the overlaps
and indexing these to ensure that performance does
not degrade.  Harder than it looks.  The overlap
can also lead to pernicious or superstitious results.

Expert systems don't scale well and that is one reason for
not betting the web's future on them.   When it
gets down to defining what is "socially useful"
you will find that there are many many definitions,
cultural, political, financial and so on.  It
can quickly become a very bad brew of power, greed,
and zealotry (power under religion).  Caveat vendor.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h