   RE: Soft Landing

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>, Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:21:35 -0500

Number One Advice:  Don't trust your life to a
real time control system for at least three generations
of deployment.  See Airbus disasters.  Most expert
systems are toys but there are some very big and
successful ones used in limited domains, for example,
GE used these for mechanical control systems.  It
was discovered that unless one *severely* limited
the domain and precisely specified the types of
services the system would provide, they were unreliable.
In any case, they were very expensive.

Some URLs to look at for those who want to study semantic
network theories and applications.

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Papers/StructuringKnowledge.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/SEMNET.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/umlssemn.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/META3.HTML

Note use of terms such as reliable, coherent, transparent, and stable
to describe models.

Note: Personal interpretation plays a role for users of such models.
For real time, mission critical decision making, such models are considered
only in the role of a support service.  They do not enable the kind of
automated
business services that Tim Berners-Lee describes.  Expert systems
typically function as advisory services.  In a framework such as
BizTalk where routing of processes to service application is a
fundamental concept, these advisors may be used in cases where
input/output processing has a low confidence factor.  The advisory
service can offer help.  For example:

o Classification or epistemology - eg, according to this authoritative
definition, this IS-A that

o Episodic inference - this set of inputs matches a historical event
recorded in this authoritative database; here is the outcome

Both clearly have diagnostic service applications.  For example,
combining the services of technical information presentation
and failure mode analysis to determine capabilities when operating
in a degraded mode (see Failure Mode Event Analysis).   As to
the inference rules, if/then chains are typically used as a means
to formulate possible outcomes.

The semantic network has to be seen for what it is:  a set of typed
assertions for typed data/concepts/objects.  It is one piece of
the expert system network.   It's reliability, stability, coherence
and stability is considered both in the local semantic net and
more problematically, in using multiple nets in some given process.

The services design using the BizTalk/SOAP framework can be used
to enable the last but only if adequate control/tests are provided.
For the ultimate applications of such, see the books on real time
control systems as envisioned by the CASE design tool makers.  If you
want a first pass at a process/control DTD, I wrote one for Beyond
The Book Metaphor.  It is crude but it demonstrates the use of
nested processes and control specifications for building stable
cooperating systems.

Note:

"The problem with semantic networks for knowledge representation is still
that of
ambiguity: there is an unlimited number of link and node types that may seem

appropriate, and their interrelationships will in general be very unclear.
In
order to limit the set of types, we need an unambiguous,
fundamental interpretation of what concepts and links in our network really
stand for."

"The meaning of a node is partially formal, determined by the network of
semantic relations to which it belongs; and partially informal, determined
by the personal interpretation of the user who reads the exposition, and
tries
to understand the concept by associating it with the context. Such a format
allows
the adequate representation of precise, mathematical concepts, of vague,
ambiguous,
"literary" ideas, and of the whole continuum in between."

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard