   RE: Soft Landing

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Dave Winer' <dave@userland.com>,"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>,Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:53:42 -0700

Speaking of inference rules, many of you have seen Princeton's WordNet
(http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/).  The forms of relationships
(syno/anto, hypo/hyper, mero/holo) seem pretty useful for semantic tagging.
WordNet and MSR's MindNet are both pretty massive databases.  I have written
a bunch of code that screen-scrapes dictionary.com and parses out the
definitions of every word (and pointers to synonyms, etc.) to form such a
database.  I used this to create a lemmatizer, but synonym information was
obviously easy to extract.  I bring this up simply to point out that I
thrashed around quite a bit to produce a lexicon which was rather inferior
to WordNet, and there are some things that could maybe be learned from
WordNet:

* a set of inference rules taken from classic object-oriented programming is
not going to give necessarily good results, the inference rules should be
bent to match the way we understand things and not bent to make it easy for
a computer to process.  WordNet has "sense of" which is key to making the
semantics actually useful (at least I think so).

* lots of human scrubbing

* straight hierarchical (as in node-labeled graphs) relationships can give
strange outcomes (at least in the lexicon I built!).  WordNet is more like
an edge-labeled graph with weights (I think they based weights on frequency
of occurrence with some human scrubbing).

Of course, I know that in the OPML/UserLand sense of outlines, outlines can
link into one another, so outlines don't imply a tree structure always.  In
fact, I am not even close to being an expert on the topic of semantic
relationships.  And also concur that building a lexicon for lemmatization is
not the same as a defining semantic rules for a limited test domain.  Just
from my own limited experience, if building inference rules in the future I
would try to borrow from WordNet's ideas of "sense of" and some fuzzy
weightings at a bare minimum.