   RE: Soft Landing

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:14:51 -0500

There was a saying, "Between the radar screen
and the fire control is and always is a human.
Don't launch on acquisition of signal."

Perhaps simply, Trust But Verify.

One of the links I posted was to the Principia
Cybernetica which is a hypertext semantic net.
If XLinks are implemented with role attributes,
as Eliot Kimber used to point out, you have the
basic construct for semantic nets.

I don't say a semantic net or expert system
isn't useful.  Historically they were very
expensive to build and maintain and have a
temporal currency problem.  Also, as they
grow and become intense, access issues
become important.   For well-understood
domains without any cascading issues, they
can be effective particularly as an advisory
service.  When Wayne Uejio (GE) worked
these for CALS, they were touted as a means
to capture and preserve corporate competence,
that is, to protect against loss of knowledge
where knowledge is considered a corporate asset.
We investigated them in deep detail for IETMs.
They became one of the reasons we advanced
the concept of stable cooperating systems.  Wayne
and I spent a lot of time figuring out how these
two technologies would work together.  We understood
markup was a key enabler.  I wanted to use Hytime
because links could have roles.  Wayne wasn't that
hot on markup but saw the sense of it as we looked
into platform lifecycle and interoperation dilemmas.

The network of definitions was augmented with a
rules base typically constructed from interviewing
domain experts.  The advantage was as you say
in the fuzzy domains where capturing the feel
of the human expert was important for real world
rules.  Again, they had to be augmented with a
continuously updated episodic database.  They
became known as learning systems and part of
the general practice of creating intelligent
tutoring systems.

If one wants to create as
Dave suggests, a toy system for XML-Dev'rs,
that is a fine experiment.  I'd be very critical
about the top level domains and how the rules
are assigned.  I always felt that feeding them
automagically from services such as full-text
indexing and analysis was dicey.  If you
use semantic nets to create semantic nets, it
is a bit like using an a-bomb to detonate
an h-bomb.

Feedback-based real time control.  Not esoteric
stuff, but tricky to implement well and don't
fly the first one.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com