   Role of incubating consortium

  • From: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:13:50 -0700

Not long ago I posted a message about consortia acting as incubators for
specifications that were subsequently funneled into the ISO standards
process.

That message prompted an e-mail from one of the persons who worked on the
ISO SQL standards.
He suggested my message was worded in a manner that overstated the role of
SQL Access Group (SAG) and X/Open. To correct any misimpressions from my
earlier posting:

1. "the SAG work had no impact on SQL:1999 since it had gone away before the
bulk of this work was done."
2. Most of the work on "SQL:1989, SQL:1992 and SQL:1999 was done by National
Body committees like ANSI X3H2, CAC SC32, DIN, etc as part of the ISO
SC32/WG3 (previous SC21/WG3) work efforts."