   Re: Why not canonical parsers? [Was: Pull-based XML parsers? ]

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:00:57 -0500

At 07:49 AM 11/10/00 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>Wow... Canonical XML is pretty easy to generate, but I'd think
>that enforcing all those constraints would be a lot of work,
>i.e. probably more than parsing ordinary XML. -Tim

Enforcing which constraints?

It seems like reading Canonical XML just requires a namespace-aware parser
for UTF-8 documents, with no need to implement DTD support.

Am I missing something drastic?  I can see where creating canonical
documents from regular XML might be difficult, but I don't see much
difficulty in reading them.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML