   Re: Namespaces and Schemes

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:35:58 +0000

> No clear what you mean by a "scheme [sic]"?
>
> I'd certainly be interested in a bit more detail on why it's obvious
> that XML Schema is not appropriate for your needs.

I'm not saying it isn't appropriate: far from it! Rather I'm asking "is it
appropriate?"
By Scheme, I mean:
"Syntactic Schema: A document, real or imagined, which constrains the
structure and/or type of data. (pl.: Schemata)." - Tim Berners-Lee,
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Evolution.html

My major concern is how we validate documents declard to be within a certain
Namespace. Deosn't XSV just assume that there is an XML Schema on the end of
it? For example:-

 xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance'
 xmlns:t='http://www.w3.org/2000/TR/smil-animation10'
 xmlns:util="http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/comment#"
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml html.xsd"
  > [...] - http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/comment-test.html

XSV validates the util: namespace without any suggesiton of there being a
Schema for at the end of it (sorry, appears to, I'm not sure what's really
going on: please explain!).

My question again: "Now, I want to 'attach' a scheme [sic] to the namespace,
that tells both humans and parsers not only what the content and structure
of the document is, but what it means as well. Question: How do I best go
about doing this?"

BTW: TimBL also wrote:
[[[
Levels of schema language
Computer languags can be classified into various types, with various
capabilities, and the sort we chose for the schema document, and information
we allow the schema fundamentally affects not just what the semantic web can
be but, more importantly, how it can grow. The schema document can, broadly,
be one of the following:
1. Notional only: imaginary, non-existent but named.
2. Human readable
3. Machine-understandable and defining structure
4. Machine-understandable and slo which are optional parts
5. A Turing-complete recipe for conversion into othr langauges
6. A logical model of document
]]] - http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Evolution.html

What should I be using for a Semantic Web interface language, where I want
to validate a document with many namespaces, all interacting? Quite a mess,
I'm sure you'll agree. If only we could have a protocol for validation for
namespaces...

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
The Semantic Web: A Resource - http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/
Mysterylights.com - http://www.mysterylights.com/
"The Internet; is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson