   Re: Namespaces and Schemes

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:40:58 +0000

> I encourage you to read the XML Schema Primer [1], which contains a good
> introduction to the mechanisms by which you can associate schemas with
> namespaces -- putting a schema document at the namespace URI is only
> one of them.  I think there's enough flexibility in the spec. to
> accommodate your needs.

According to 6.3.2(2):-
"The author of a document uses namespace declarations to indicate the
intended interpretation of names appearing therein; there may or may not be
a schema retrievable via the namespace URI."

Can we simply declare a namespace for a document then, and validate it using
that namespace as a Schema URI? Is that legal? There seems to be some
abiguity in that statement "may or may not be".
BTW: I am one of the more outspoken defenders of XML Schemas, and their
usage. I also advocate Namespaces for validation purposes, but I would like
to see clarity...at the moment, I'm not quite sure what is wrong and what is
right.

Also from 6.3.2(2):
"Users are always free to supply namespace URIs as schema location
information when dereferencing is desired: see below."

Seems pretty clear to me: use namespaces for validation if you want.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
The Semantic Web: A Resource - http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/
Mysterylights.com - http://www.mysterylights.com/
"The Internet; is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson