Namespace related-resource bundles: just the one?

I might be missing something, but as far as I can see all three
[1] of the current proposals share the following characteristic:
they all tie a namespace identifier to a _single_ bundle of
related resources which are under the control of whoever it is
who has administrative control over the namespace URI. I can
envisage circumstances where this sort of centralized control
would be desirable, but, equally, I can envisage circumstances
where it wouldn't.

As a consequence it looks as though we wouldn't be able to take
an _existing_ document instance (which already references a
resource bundle via it's namespace URI) and, for example,
associate it with a different XML or RDF schema without
negotiating with the controllers of the existing bundle URI.

Admittedly we could create a new namespace (using a URI which we
control as its identifier) and define a trivial transform from
the original document onto a new one using vocabulary drawn from
our new namespace. Alternatively, I can imagine XML processors
providing various (implementation defined?) mechanisms for
overriding the association. Neither of these options strike me as
particularly satisfactory however.

What do people think? Is this a problem? If it is, how could the
existing proposals be revised to avoid it?

Cheers,

Miles

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00749.html

Miles Sabin                               InterX
Internet Systems Architect                5/6 Glenthorne Mews
+44 (0)20 8817 4030                       London, W6 0LJ, England
msabin@interx.com                         http://www.interx.com/