RE: XHTML m12n XSD

I'd be curious to know what you liked about "redefine".  It would seem to me that you could accomplish typically uses of redefine with XSLT during schema authoring time and there is no need to burden
the validator with the complexity of fetching all the previous versions or variants of a schema and performing an invariant merging.

It is something that is essential to XHTML m12n or is it just a convienience?