RE: binary base64 definition

I don't believe the DOM is really the issue here -- XML (and, by
implication, the DOM) talk about the structual and semantic (notations,
PIs, etc.) content of a 'document,' and don't care about the actual text
content of an element, provided it is 'acceptable' text (that is, not
binary or data otherwise containing illegal bytes).

I would thus hazard that, regardless of the tool you use (DOM, JDOM,
SAX) to process the XML, you will need to add something to handle
element text content that is specially encoded according to some non-XML
standard (such as base64, uuencode, zip, etc.).

Similarly, with external entities referenced by some combination of an
entity declaration and a notation, you would have to provide code to
handle the special data type indicated by the notation.

Of course, java has (somewhere, I hope!) methods for encoding/decoding
base64 (if the jdk doesn't, then I'm sure there is a package somewhere
that does this), so it shouldn't be too hard to add this. There's probably
a javascript package thta does this also.

Ian