From: Ian Graham [mailto:igraham@ic-unix.ic.utoronto.ca]
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 10:50 AM
To: Dan Vint
Cc: Jerry Johns; 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
Subject: Re: binary base64 definition

The DOM supports access to notation nodes, but can enforce no statement
aobut the proper encoding of a referenced external entity (which makes
sense, as it is external to the document).

Base64 encoding of content inside a document would require custom code for
doing the encoding/decoding, and some attribute-based mechanism for
labeling the 'type' content of the node containing the data. That is
certainly possible, but as far as I can see is outside the scope of the
DOM.

Ian