RE: And the DTD says, "I'm NOT dead yet!!"

We're circling a known problem:  a DTD can
be used to ensure a schema is valid, but
the meaning of validity (what 'is' is) is
fairly restricted.  That is why definitions
based on infosets/groves were needed by
SGML and why organizations such as
TechnoTeacher developed grove-processing
engines.  One does have to get beyond the
DTD.  Essentially, the DTD is doing
something convenient at this time:  serving as
a processable kind of BNF for the productions
in the document as well as enabling extra
infomation such as #FIXED values.  It is
too weak a description to say much if anything
about the semantics of the processor of the
document; that is by design.   If I understand
what you are saying, neither a DTD nor a schema
would be adequate to define an XSLT processor
even if one described the XSLT productions.

Is that the case?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.