RE: Schema localization? *Newbie alert*

Jan asked "Is there a mechanism which will allow 'localization' (1:1
mappings)of the tagnames in Dutch, Portugese, Chinese etc. ?"

It seems to me that you have the problem even for the tags in 'English'.

This is a common problem in databases - the physical model column names are
not sufficient to provide titles for the contents of columns let alone
descriptions. Logical (or ceneptual) data models are therefore constructed
outside the database (in ERWin for example) that include titles,
descriptions and enumerations in the languages that are needed by the users.
At Dun and Bradstreet we had a 40mb dll that contained the language
translations of all the titles, descriptions and enumerated types
(distributing it to the workstations was an interesting challenge).

How you do this for XML is up for grabs. If you use XML Schema it could be
done through the annotation capability. What you really need is a repository
for all the translations and generate the metadata for specific
applications.

Yours,
John F Schlesinger
SysCore Solutions