Re: Catalogs: another angle

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 04:54:34PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> I just spotted this,
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-rescap-rc-00.txt
>
> which looks to be very closely related to things which we've been
> discussing here recently ... but from a protocol perspective.

Yes. This is one of the proposals for teh RESCAP Working Group.
The intent is that RESCAP is used to find out the capabilities
of a URI (either the URI or the Resource itself) before you
actually interact with that Resource. I talk a little bit about
this in http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uri-rdf-00.txt

IMHO, the RDDL stuff would sit on a server and you could use RESCAP
to query it. RESCAP is meant to be very lightweight and fast so that
you can reliably use it find these things out before you do any
kind of access on the Resource.

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821