RE: Transforming an XML Document into another

Newsha Makooi wrote:
> What's the best way and easiest way to transform one
> XML document into another via an XSLT document?

Newsha,

When posting to the xml-dev list, or any other public list, post in plain
text format. Only send HTML or Rich Text to recipients that you know can
handle it (friends; internal corporate email). Your message was HTML.

XSLT questions should go to the xsl-list, which you can find out more about
at http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

> Is <xsl:output> the key piece for this?

Assuming that the 'xsl' prefix has been bound to the XSLT namespace URI
'http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform', as opposed to the old XSL namespace
URI only recognized by MSXML, an xsl:output instruction tells an XSLT
processor what type of output you would like to be derived from the result
tree that is created during processing of the stylesheet (if such
output/serialization is supported).

> Wondering on how to pull the value from one XML's tags
> into another XML's attributes.

<xsl:template match="elementIn">
  <elementOut attr="{.}"/>
</xsl:template>

is one way. (elementIn, elementOut, attr are arbitrary names for this
example)

The following URLs of XSLT tutorials should be helpful.

http://www.vbxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/default.asp
http://www.zvon.org/index.php?nav_id=2
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/chapter/index.html
http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/training/#ptux-dl
http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/14.html

   - Mike
Mike J. Brown, software engineer at            My XML/XSL resources:
webb.net in Denver, Colorado, USA              http://skew.org/xml/