Re: Textual transmission typically faster?

on  Thursday, January 18, 2001 12:08 PM
Mark.Papiani wrote

Subject: Textual transmission typically faster?

> I just read p.19 of Brett McLaughin's book, Java and XML (O'Reilly),
> and was a little surprised by the statement:
>
> "Although some binary data formats can be transmitted very
efficiently,
> textual transmissions will typically average out as a faster means
of
> communication".
>
> Could anyone expand on this statement for me, and perhaps supply
> references to any papers/benchmarks that show some results?

I've been to papers where this was indeed explained as a
compressibility issue, and it sort of made sense at the time.

The apparent textual redundancy of xml tagging means
tokenising compressors can really get to work

Michael Beddow
http://www.mbeddow.net/