Re: Abbreviated Tag Names

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> It seems like there are a substantial number of cases where 1-1 equivalence
> actually happens in the world - abbreviation and translation being the two
> largest.  I'm pondering (haven't yet built) a thesaurus processor, which
> lets you feed in a set of rules and specify which set applies, and then run
> it over documents.

It reminds me of a proposal done on a XMLfr mailing list [1] (the link
is in French, but a babelfish translation should be enough to give the
idea(s)).

One of the things I had been thinking of was, as you mention, to use
simple translation tables with a simple SAX filter.

The translation tables could define the mapping of similar vocabularies
using distinct namespaces such as:

<translations
  xmlns="http://xmlTranslations.org/ns/tables"
  xmlns:en="http://www.josebove.org/ns/activists#en"