RE: Abbreviated Tag Names

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> At 04:38 PM 1/21/01 -0800, Don Park wrote:
> >So, I have been thinking about abbreviated tag names and wanted your
> >thoughts on the subject.  There are many aspects to this issue:
> >
> >1) should schemas be expanded or an alternate version be used?
> >2) should a new namespace be defined or old namespace be reused?
> >3) what role does RDDL play?
> >4) should there be a dynamic abbreviation mechanism? [no, imho]
> >5) how should abbreviated version of existing standards be created?
> >6) should there be standard rules for abbreviating tag names?

this is an interesting topic. my impression regarding mCommerce is that
there are lots of difficult constraints at present, primarily that the
client has not alot of room for software ? 60k at best or somesuch ?

is the expectation that clients are to run Java? are JAR files available? if
so, doesn't PKZIP compression fare well with XML?

> >Obviously, this is not a complete list but should be enough to get the
> >discussion going.
>
> RDDL's gotten me thinking again about dictionary resources, and
> I'm doing a
> presentation on transformations next week.

Isn't this essentially the transform created by an Architectural Form?

ok, suppose we do want to create an abbreviated syntax associated with a
namespace. Perhaps a piece of server software could run a 1:1 abbreviating
transform. I suppose a RDDL directory could contain either:

1) a link to a list of abbreviations in some format
2) a set of resource links which themselves encode the abbreviations, for
example suppose we want to abbreviate

ns:aReallyLongElementName -> ns:a

the RDDL document for the namespace URI bound to "ns:" might have an entry:

<rddl:resource
	id="aReallyLongElementName"
	xl:role="http://www.rddl.org/natures#term"
	xl:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#abbreviation"
	xl:href="#a"
> <h2>aReallyLongElementName</h2>
</rddl:resource>

> It seems like there are a substantial number of cases where 1-1
> equivalence
> actually happens in the world - abbreviation and translation being the two
> largest.  I'm pondering (haven't yet built) a thesaurus processor, which
> lets you feed in a set of rules and specify which set applies,
> and then run
> it over documents.
> Dictionary files add more weight, of course, but there might be
> ways to get
> around that for a lot of projects.

Somewhere, sometime any sort of processor like this will need a "lookup
table". The question is how to encode it.

> I wasn't planning on mentioning it until I had something to show,
> but since
> you mentioned....

Keep us posted.

-Jonathan