RE: Mapping a UML model to a DTD or Schema

On Thursday, January 25, 2001 9:42 AM Robin Cover wrote :
>It's encouraging to hear mention of "conceptual modeling" in
>connection with Web/markup conferences; especially heart-warming
>to hear "conceptual modeling" and "schema design" in the
>same sentence.  My guess is that the syntax-centric
>stranglehold will not be broken until there's a conscious focus
>on conceptual modeling, accompanied by an unspoken agreement
>that XML schemas and other markup syntaxes can readily be
>generated from conceptual model notations.

On a somewhat related note :
Has anyone done any comparisons between the ideas and mechanisms in the ISO
STEP
standard including the EXPRESS modeling language and XML?

[ I am relatively new to XML, my SGML experience dates back to the early
90s.
  I spent the last couple of years in the CAD industry. I am still ignorant
  enough about XML to think that STEP is more mature in certain areas, and
  that we should learn from some valuable lessons experienced in that
domain. ]

Regards,

Jan