RE: Mapping a UML model to a DTD or Schema

On Thursday, January 25, 2001 4:32 PM Arnold, Curt wrote :
>The Cover pages have a fairly lengthy list of STEP and XML initiatives
>http://xml.coverpages.org/related.html#step

Arnold, thanks. In my understanding XML and STEP as system neutral data
wrappers are
 roughly similar mechanisms. I am just wondering if the concept of a
modeling level is
feasible/practical for a *generalized* markup language.
In ebXML and BizTalk you see that modeling levels appear.

Also with richer data type support soon available in XML via XSchema, I
wonder if
mechanisms like EXPRESS-X are actually avoidable (to guarantuee against
critical
data loss). Any thoughts on this? Len?

>The approach I favor is to generate an UML model from the EXPRESS schema
(SELECT
>maps to Interface for example), refine and iterate on the UML model and
then
>produce XML Schema from the UML model.

Very interesting.

>The aecXML (Architectural, Engineering and Construction XML,
http://www.aecXML.org)
> initiative is currently exploring this approach with mapping the
International
>Alliance for Interoperability's
>Industrial Foundation Classes schema to an XML representation.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Jan