Re: Mapping a UML model to a DTD or Schema

At S.W.I.F.T., we are reviewing our approach at developing Message Standards ; the new paradigm is based on modelling (using UML) ,
and we transform class diagrams modelling the messages to DTDs (today) and to Schema's (to morrow).

Our conversion rules can be found on http://www.swift.com
(go to the 'Products & Services' page. You'll find our document as a .pdf: swiftML).

I'll be very interested to get some feedback on our approach.

"Vegt, Jan" wrote:

> On Thursday, January 25, 2001 4:32 PM Arnold, Curt wrote :
> >The Cover pages have a fairly lengthy list of STEP and XML initiatives
> >http://xml.coverpages.org/related.html#step
>
> Arnold, thanks. In my understanding XML and STEP as system neutral data
> wrappers are
>  roughly similar mechanisms. I am just wondering if the concept of a
> modeling level is
> feasible/practical for a *generalized* markup language.
> In ebXML and BizTalk you see that modeling levels appear.
>
> Also with richer data type support soon available in XML via XSchema, I
> wonder if
> mechanisms like EXPRESS-X are actually avoidable (to guarantuee against
> critical
> data loss). Any thoughts on this? Len?
>
> >The approach I favor is to generate an UML model from the EXPRESS schema
> (SELECT
> >maps to Interface for example), refine and iterate on the UML model and
> then
> >produce XML Schema from the UML model.
>
> Very interesting.
>
> >The aecXML (Architectural, Engineering and Construction XML,
> http://www.aecXML.org)
> > initiative is currently exploring this approach with mapping the
> International
> >Alliance for Interoperability's
> >Industrial Foundation Classes schema to an XML representation.
>
> Thanks, I'll check that out.
>
> Jan
begin:vcard
n:Renouprez;Jean-Luc
tel;fax:+32 2 655 4422
tel;work:+ 32 2 655 3446
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.swift.com
org:S.W.I.F.T. s.c.;Infrastructure and Product Solutions Management
adr:;;1, Avenue Adèle;La Hulpe;;1310;Belgium
version:2.1
email;internet:jean-luc.renouprez@swift.com
title:Senior Project Manager
fn:Jean-Luc Renouprez