RE: Are we losing out because of grammars?

It has been stated for some time from experience with
large data systems in CALS:

1.  Monolithic DTDs failed generally to be workable
both in production and in maintenance.

2.  Parameter entities bought little but naming
sugar for the DTD maintainer

3.  Most systems are better expressed in families
of definitions with links among the definitions for
named relationships (say over containment for a weak
IS-A or HAS-A)

So, not exactly a new requirement.  Some thought
modularity was the right approach, but it is only
part of it.  Modularity bought us smaller table level
definitions, but not interrelated tables as are typical
of parent/child tables.   The issue has been
that as was stated in another thread, people have mostly
built small XML systems and have yet to tackle the
problems of large interrelated sets.

Again, and as I asked James and Rick, step back
and look at this in terms of very large pipelines
of information moving among agencies and consider
the costs of creating models that have to be shared
and among which, pieces of the data migrate.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard