RE: What is the advantage of RELAX in comparison to Schemas?

Agreeing that both cases have valid uses, I would
argue that the legacy rules are still the rules
of consensus and that the requirement to "drag
in a programmer" is an unfortunate side effect of
the original implementation (eg, WYSIWYG botched
document production by hiding an unmodifiable schema).

Keeping up multiple documents to control a single
instance is a cost, no doubt, but spreading a single
ineffective control across multiple processes with
different objectives is also costly.  Again, the
case must be made for consensus and that is harder
than to rule by fiat.   The problem is that when
one attempts the monolith it is likely that acceptance
and implementation may be sparser than if only the
simplest and easily recognized agreements are made
(this is Berners-Lee minimal victory approach).
Sometimes minimalism is better; sometimes it only
delays the implementation.  Requirements analysis
first, of course.

I agree that having only one definition from an
agency that by the illusion of authority is
promoted is bad.  Multiple definitions which
do not enable a process to remain coherent is
also bad.   Therefore, the engineers have to
actually ask the users which they prefer. (Note,
I didn't say, ask the managers.)  My position is
that these multiple means do not compete but
could be construed as such depending on the
means used to choose the means.  Semantics
is a means to choose among means.  I think
that is why some are starting to look very
seriously at concept modeling as a layer over
XML modeling for large systems where by large
systems, I mean, multiple authoritative scopes
of control.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.