RE: Getting The Pizza (Was Processing 'my' XML (was Re: Why Mode l Concepts?))

At 01:21 PM 2/14/01 -0600, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Exactly.  So, when do we want to [model concepts]?

I don't want to model them.

I tend to think that concepts grow from ugly little larval experiences,
which sometimes survive to wrap themselves in a chrysalis and emerge as a
beautiful butterfly.

You can model butterflies in clay or glass, but then you've just got a clay
or glass butterfly.  You can tell me that it's a real butterfly, but I can
disagree with that easily.  You can also collect and categorize
butterflies, putting them in neat glass boxes, but then you've got a bunch
of dead butterflies.

Sometimes it's better to let the butterflies thrive than to stamp your own
order on them.

(See what happens to me when I'm reviewing chapters about XML Query?)

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML