Re: more grist

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:
>
> <snip/>
>
> > The way I read Simon's article (and the position I defend), it's not a
> > criticism of W3C XML Schema, but the fact that other applications will
> > become dependent on W3C XML Schema.
>
> In so far as they do, it's because they have requirements that can
> best be satisfied that way.  The alternative (e.g. for XML Query and
> XML Protocols) would be to define their own, incompatible with XML
> Schema or each other, type system.  Surely _that_ would be a step
> backward.

Yes and no...

These other specs should, IMO, have different requirements and
especially try to have a large scope and describe as much combination as
possible and as many datatypes as possible.

If the limitations such as unordered elements for the structure or the
lack of localized datatypes are -hardly- acceptable for a simple
validation tool that I can choose to use or ignore, I find it
unacceptable if it blocks these vocabularies from using important
features of XSLT or XQuery.

Vocabularies such as RSS that doesn't pay attention to the order of the
elements (except in rdf:Bag) or localized vocabularies using other
decimal separators or datetime formats should be able to use these
features.

In other words, these specs should start by defining their requirements
and check if W3C XML Schema can meet them rather than deciding a priori
that they will use it.

Eric