Re: more grist

At 01:04 PM 3/6/2001 +0000, Henry Thompson wrote:
>1) Many of the people publically worried about W3C XML Schema size and
>complexity on this list and elsewhere six months ago are now happily
>(by their own accounts) writing schemas and using them.  Accordingly,
>I contest the 'deeply unpopular (in many quarters)' assertion as not
>only misleading but unfounded.  You need to get out more, Simon, and
>notice just how much use XML Schema is getting -- you'd be impressed.

I think I get out plenty, and my wife thinks I travel far too much.  I'm
well aware that a reputation as a critic of W3C XML Schema means that I
hear more complaints than is perhaps typical.  On the other hand, I hear
complaints from a rather diverse group of people on a very regular basis
both in person (at conferences) and electronically.

These come from both users and implementers.  I know a remarkable number of
people who create DTDs and transform them to XML Schemas if necessary, but
that doesn't mean they're thrilled with XML Schemas.

I'm sure that there are some people who are delighted with XML
Schema.  They aren't the people I know - apart from you - but I certainly
don't get hate mail for saying cranky things about W3C XML Schema.  Don't
think I ever have, in fact.

>2) None of the competition, for all their many admirable quarters,
>address the type assignment issue at all.  All the other W3C spec's at
>issue _require_ type assignment.  There is no political plot, only
>design necessity following from requirements.

There isn't a plot, but there's plenty of reason to question design
necessity and the requirements.  I strongly encourage developers to
evaluate XML Schemas in a context which includes alternatives, and to
create additional alternatives where they feel it necessary.  That may be a
plot in itself, but it may also help to address situations which conflict
with the W3C's vision of designing to meet requirements.

Simon St.Laurent
Associate Editor
O'Reilly and Associates