Re: an xpath/xsl question: why must (a QName in an) argument be a pathexpression?

Yes. I admit, I did use an example from a dated xsl description. Please
do not be misled by the details.

The question remains, is it intended, that a QName never appear in an
argument list as such? The XPath grammar says only

[16] FunctionCall ::= FunctionName '(' ( Argument ( ',' Argument )* )? ')'
[17] Argument ::= Expr

which subsumes a QName in the following forms only

[35] FunctionName ::= QName - NodeType
[36] VariableReference ::= '$' QName
[37] NameTest ::= '*' | NCName ':' '*' | QName

Am I missing something?

ps. Is there a source for concise, up-to-date examples for
XPath/XPointer/XSL pattern expressions?