Re: URIs and information typing

In addition to proclaiming this, you may--in fact, in developing processing
which uses XML-described data, you must--instantiate the same locally usable
form for equivalent data, regardless of differences in its provenance. At a
gritty nuts-and-bots level it is unavoidable that data submitted to and
extracted from local processes exhibit the bit representation of data expected
by the local processing environment (including most conspicuously endian
issues). The same is true of the bit representation even of text:  there is no
assurance that a local process recognizes or accommodates any particular
encoding. Given that, local equivalence reduces to acceptance, or not, of a
given concrete representation of data as valid input to a particular local
process. Therefore at the level where equivalence matters most--whether your
process can recognize and prepare various received instances of differing
provenance as suitable inputs to the same process--the quibbling distinction
between two URL references is meaningless.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry